Monday, October 8, 2012

The Quest for Ringzilla

hello hello!

long time no blog~

life you know.

this entry is pretty random (its about rings)~ so i'll give you a little backstory/factual nonsense abt me:

  • I like nice things
  • I want to get married.
  • I will hopefully be married soon.
  • I dont want a wedding
  • Wedding planning would kill me
  • I would become a bridezilla
  • Weddings are stressfull
  • Weddings (at least MY wedding) cost more than im willing to spend
  • I refuse to rent a dress or buy one that will be worn once
  • I'd rather spend that money on the honeymoon and my ring
  • This is my dream wedding ring:



This is Ringzilla.



Ringzilla is a 4ct T.W. Princess-cut Quad Diamond Frame Bridal Set in14K White Gold.
(o! also, I am not associated with Zales in any way. Zales is not sponsoring or endorsing me.)

anyway! yeah! that beautiful ring is my dream wedding ring. As the name implies, it is more than one ring-- its three! 

see! one band on either side of the princess cathedral setting! The middle band is the engagement ring and the others are the wedding bands (you keep them both!). also this ring isnt one of those rings thats way smaller in real life than it is online.
not my hand.customer picture from zales.com
This is a BIG ring.

Obviously, a 4ct wedding set is not cheap.

Ringzilla is  $5499.99 .

*sigh*

So I can guarantee that this ring will not be the one I see when I get proposed to.

And for the reccord, I am not as shallow as you all probably think I am. This is MY DREAM RING. I could honestly care less about the engagement ring. As long as I can spend the rest of my life with the man I love and he can do the same with me, i will be happy.

In all actuality, according to the 3-months salary rule this ring is 100% possible....well if the 3-months salary rule took  the price of living, bills, and savings into effect.

Chris makes good money, but we have other things to save for. But either way, he indulges me by making sure that whenever we go to the mall, we stop by zales on our way out and he lets me try it on.

:3 so sweet right?

Well last time we stopped in, he actually talked to the saleslady and she recommended that we (he) start smaller and trade up every few years untill he gets to Ringzilla.

BRILLIANT!

When we got home he asked me about upgrading rings. I knew about it because my moms done it a few times (or should i say my dad? ) but it had honestly never crossed my mind. The idea is amazing but part of me would be sad to not have the first ring forever, ya know?

After thinking about it, I decided it was a good idea because my dream ring would still be mine (albeit it being a few years later) and it would still be coming from husband. After this, Chris told me to look around and see what I like. I put on my glasses and started doing research for:

My Wedding Ring Timeline!

lol yeah, I spent an hour or 2 on zales.com looking at smaller carat rings that were similar to Ringzilla  and wrote down item numbers and prices.
---i should probably mention that chris and I discussed price and I decideded that I will get no anniversary or birthday jewelry while in the process upgrading rings no matter how long it takes--- 

(i really actually have 5 handwritten pages in my notebook that is Ring Research. it has tables and annotations and everything. i am so organized sometimes!)
so here is my slightly crazy but not impossible timeine:


 1/2 CT. T.W. Princess-Cut Diamond Frame Split Shank Bridal Set in 14K White Gold
 $1399.00

1-1/4 CT. T.W. Princess Cut Diamond Wedding Set in 14K White Gold
$1999.99

1-1/2 CT. T.W. Princess-Cut Quad Diamond Bridal Set in 14K White Gold
$2299.99

2 CT. T.W. Quad Princess-Cut Diamond Framed Three Piece Bridal Set in 14K White Gold
$2999.99

My feelings for Ring3 & RingX are complicated:
  • R3 is a cheaper tradeup from R2,(around $300-ish)
  • it would also be the smallest upgrade carat-wise (3/4)
  • RX is more expensive to tradeup from R2 (around $1K)
  • it would be a 2ct t.w. upgrade
  • R3 is my least favorite based on looks  (4.5/5) I'm not fond of the channel set diamonds, i prefer pave.
--hypothetical event--
 In the event that money is tight and chris decides to upgrade R2, R3 would obviously be the best choice due to its lower price. (if money actually is tight--i would tell him to fuck upgrading my rings lol-- FOOD>;Diamonds)

When i hit the R3xRX complication I drew 2 charts to see what would be the better choice in the long run based on price. I also drew a 3rd chart to see what would happen if  I got both rings in my upgrading chronicles...

It doesnt matter lol!

 all 3 charts gave me the same answer!

If by some amazing chance, this whole idea comes to fruition, the total cost of tradeups over a 10-12 year time span, would cost around $5500.00

ONE PENNY MORE THAN RINGZILLA!

thats totally a win right???



lol do you guys have a dream wedding ring? tell me about it!